Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Rights

From: "Lane, Jim" <Jim.Lane () CIBC com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:24:40 -0400

I've just started work for a large bank as a sysadmin supporting a group
of developers. It seems that the custom here is to grant local admin
rights to developers and I was able to get myself so designated with a
minimal amount of fuss and bother.
To my mind this is a classic "pick your poison" sort of choice. The more
hard nosed you are about this is the more difficult it is for some
people to do their jobs, myself being one such. One size doesn't fit
all. Some people really are "power users" and tightening up security
controls doesn't change that. If users can't make necessary changes then
somebody else has to do it for them. How much time and effort is it
worth to devote to desktop security. You tell me.

Regards,
Jim Lane