Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:18:35 -0400

Current crackers use single character symbols to create the larger
password (e.g. abcdef). This type of attempt cannot be easily made
against 10 character and larger passwords. In my particular challenge, I
told everyone the second and third challenges are composed of complete
english words. In order to have a hope of cracking them in a reasonable
period of time, the cracker needs to use english words like single
characters (e.g.hookscarpetfish), putting together all the possible
words that could be used to create a 15-character passphrase, and then
hash each result, and compare it to the hashes I've given.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes () infoworld com or roger () banneretcs com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909