Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "Baechle, Eric" <Eric.Baechle () dhs gov>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:38:26 -0400

Roger,

I agree with you with regards to the entropy of the password strength.  A longer password can be mathematically
stronger than a complex password with less characters especially when using an incremental brute-force attack.

The problem isn't password cracking anymore.  By continuously attacking password complexity/length issues, security
professionals are dealing with a symptom of the problem inherent in authentication systems but not the problem itself.
With practical application of the Faster Time-Memory Trade-Off in Rainbow Tables, even long-and-strong passwords are
quickly becomming crackable.  As computers mature and bot-nets grow, the theory of continously using passwords longer
than systems can reasonably crack breaks down --- eventually we will make users entire entire novels as their password
to remain secure.

The reality of authentication attacks is that they typically occur at an interface.  As long as the password is "strong
enough" not to be reasonably guessed within 100 random tries or so your audit processes should enable you to detect an
attack.  This is why you would want to set your lockouts and alerts to something higher like 10, 15 or 25.  If someone
is cracking your Active Directory password hash data then they've compromised your system to an administrator level
already.  Since the "Administrator" account has a known SID, one method of auditing a compromise is to never use the
built-in administrator.  Instead, create secondary administrator accounts and monitor the built-in administrator
account for authentication with an alert of interactive or remote login letting you know the system was compromised.

With hash injection ("pass the hash"), I never even have to know what your username/password actually is.  When I am
confronted with a login prompt, I would use a modified SMB client to inject authentication credentials in hash form
directly into the SMB/Kerberos exchange.  Your password could be a random 200 characters long, and it wouldn't
matter... I'd still get into your system.

Instead of worrying about making passwords ultra-complex or ultra-long, the security administrators need to protect and
monitor the hash database.  By forcing growing password requirements upon the system users, we're overlooking the
attack-vector to the authentication system and ticking off the users in the process.  Password complexity and length
requirements have created the "iron gate" on the front door that thwarts attackers.  They're now coming in through the
windows...  We have to pay attention to the attack vector because the mathematical complexity of passwords has reached
a moot point.

Sincerely,

Eric Baechle, CISSP/ISSEP, etc...
Senior INFOSEC/OPSEC Engineer