Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "Baechle, Eric" <Eric.Baechle () dhs gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:44:09 -0400

Dave,

No I'm suggesting no such thing.  You would be misrepresenting my post.

What I am saying is that if I had the hash extraction from your system, I'd be able to enter your system in a matter of
seconds regardless of your 60, 90, 200-and-whatever-character passphrase.

Mathematically your passphrase is stronger.  In applied security, my opinion is that a passphrase really isn't
necessary.

I appreciate those of you who take the time to write your research, findings and recommendations.  I would appreciate a
discussion on the merit of fact rather than credential waving.  Someone once published that the Earth was the center of
the universe, that the world was flat, the moon was made of cheese, and that no computer could ever process fast enough
to find a collision in SHA...

Sincerely,

Eric Baechle, CISSP/ISSEP, etc.
Senior INFOSEC/OPSEC Engineer