Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: University Degree or CISSP

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:45:41 +1100

Hands on experience without a good foundation often just perpetuates bad
practice.

Anecdotal evidence is little better than no evidence. All degrees are
not equal. A PhD is a detailed and FOCUSED study of one particular
area/field/subject. It makes you an authority on a very specific topic -
this may have nothing to do with IT or even security.

I have several degrees. I have a CISSP (with additional bits). What
helps is a quality of knowledge of through both breadth and depth.

The CISSP is a very basic - wide range of knowledge that is slightly
more than paper thick. Degree's all vary. A PG (in general) degree shows
research skills and aptitude. An ability (in probability) of applying
ones self.

I have been in the industry 20 years. A degree was not needed once. This
has changed and the IT profession is becoming more professional. A
combination of skills is needed. Risk and business analytics are more
relevant than ever and it is not likely that you will demonstrate these
without a combination of education and experience.

A degree is structured learning (or at least usually is - until later
levels). There are other ways to obtain an education, but these are more
difficult to put on one's CV.

Regards,
Craig
Dr Craig S Wright, DTh MNSA MMIT CISA CISM CISSP ISSMP ISSAP G7799 GCFA
AFAIM