Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why can't Firefox and Thunderbird find their own updates?

From: Alexis <bonobo () bigpond net au>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:59:26 +1100

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 01:34 am, Leif Ericksen wrote:

There is good and bad in auto updates.  I would rather be prompted to
the fact that updates are available and asked if I want to update them.

i agree. Particularly when (as history has shown) updates can contain bugs and
vulnerabilities themselves . . . . in certain situations, the vulns in the
original version may be more manageable than the vulns in the updated
version.

Alexis.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus