Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Down with DHCP!!!!

From: "Andrew Aris" <andrew () dev bigfishinternet co uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:32:19 -0000

The idea of a database of hardware versus IP address is a good one as its a
first port of call when building an idea of what is going on in the network.

Surely however as opposed to manually configuring each device in situ a
better idea would be to control address assignment at the DHCP level -
perform address reservation and make the licences non-expiring. This way you
get the benefits of both approaches. As long as you ensure that the
available range is matched to the "known" list then you wont have the
problems of unauthorised devices getting an address.

cheers,

Andrew