Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Down with DHCP!!!!

From: "Makousky, Steve C" <SMAKOUS1 () Fairview org>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:56:04 -0600

What about just opting for Authenticated DHCP.
New user machines coming on the wire would have to register their MAC
address with a central database (there are products out there that do
this) they would then be given an address.
Server should probably not be using DHCP, unless it static, and even
then I would argue against it.

Hard coding each user box with an IP may be a hard sell....But I hear
what you are saying.