Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: University Degree or CISSP

From: Harrison Holland <harrisonholland () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:29:35 -0500

Hello,

I've been following this thread for a while, and I finally decided to
give my personal opinion.  Whether or not you learn anything at a
university that will actually help you in the job market, companies
have way too many applicants and not enough jobs.  In general they
need some way to screen applicants and weed certain ones out.  You can
be the most talented security expert in the world, but many companies
will throw out your resume if you don't have a degree from a standard
university for the simple fact that there are 20 other people who have
just as much experience as you and do have a degree.  While the paper
may mean nothing as far as your ability to perform a job, it does show
that you know how to learn, are well rounded, organized, and able to
perform on a deadline.

The other benefit of a standard university is the fact that many of
them will help you get internships with companies that you may not
have been able to work for otherwise.  If you do an internship while
finishing up your degree, you will have real work experience and a
peice of paper that tells recruiters that you can learn and perform.
I don't think there is any replacement for a standard degree.  CISSP's
can supplement a degree, but not replace it.  For anyone that has
already gotten a degree from a university, getting a CISSP is a peice
of cake.

Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes, I just wanted to throw my opinion in here.

Harrison