Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: Larry Offley <lucullus () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 00:28:40 -0800

I suggest switching to WPA or using a portal capture system that requires you to authenticate before being able to connected to anything but the portal. If your equipment can't use WPA and you can't afford to replace them, maybe setting up IPSEC for the clients using the wireless and configure your network to drop all non-IPSEC traffic coming from the wireless router. Trying to track him down is going to be a waste of your time. What you really need to do is secure your network.

Larry Offley
www.offley.ca

gaurav saha wrote:
Hi , I was wondering if it is possible to locate and catch
a guy who is connecting to our wep wireless network
and downloading stuff from torrents and using up our
bandwidth .. I checked up with arp scan and found 2 unknown IPs 192.168.1.246 and 247 Is there anyway of locating the guy in a building of 7
floors and how to stop this ..I have tried changing
the Wep keys so . he is cracking the wep key.
Any Suggestion People ?
---gaurav