Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: FatalSaint <admin () linuxniche com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:31:06 -0700

Just wanted to answer some of your questions.

I'd like to know what company this is ...

Government and Military.  The client machines at one site used DHCP but
the firewalls statically assigned an address by Jack Number/MAC/etc. I
didn't manage that.  At the other one it was static all around.

I hope they have a lot of servers to support...

They have 1000's of clients (they had a few hundred users on their
network.. then clients with seperate servers) and I am not sure how many
servers as I don't work there.  Mostly Linux/Unix but they have upwards
of 50-80.. probably more that I don't know about.  It's a DataCenter
type thing.  Never really understood what they did or why people hired
them :).

I'm not sure why you would need to encrypt a log file..

Just prevent reading it from unauthorized people.  Average user doesn't
need to see the entire map of your network along with users and
machines.  Access Control (MAC) and Permissions can be used here as well
but there's no reason not to go the extra distance.  Simply requires a
Password to Unencrypt/Edit and then re-do it.

Anyway, Just my observations.

-FatalSaint