Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Storage

From: e.m.baechle () ieee org
Date: 4 Aug 2006 13:54:01 -0000

Doug,

I think what you're referring to is called Identity Vaulting.  Using the search term "identity vault" or "identity
management" in a Google session should give you a head start.

The idea is using a system of referrals back to a central identity management server.  You could create VPN tunnels
using the VPN built into Microsoft, SSL/SSH tunnels, or VPN appliances back to your office.  Then, create trusts with
the client sites to afford your domain administrative rights.

Of course, that all requires that your clients trust your security measures.  But, it helps when your people login at
remote sites.  They can use their home-office credentials.

Aloha,

Eric B.