Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: question about CISSP experience requirements

From: e.m.baechle () ieee org
Date: 4 Aug 2006 14:01:07 -0000

Kurt,

You raise a good question.  My opinion is that the CISSP designation should specifically identify security experience.
However, my opinion is likely very far off from reality.  I've seen quite a few people achieve CISSP status from
passing a test, with no more experience on their resume than 5 years of changing backup tapes.  Suddenly they're a
"security expert" with field experience.

The CISSP certification itself is the "gold standard" however my observations have been that a  lot of underqualified
people are achiving it.  Much the same way that $$$ drove the MCSE program to keeping a low passing score.  Again, in
my observation, I think you could achieve the CISSP designation if you had someone willing to attest to you having
full-time security responsibility.

Sincerely,

Eric B.