Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:51:19 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) [mailto:hylton () conacher co za]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:49 AM
To: Security basics
Subject: Re: Different terms for the same or more secure?

OK so a physical subnetted network is 'safer'/'more secure'
than a VLAN network.

I'm still not getting the difference between a virtual and a
physical LAN. Can anyone give me an example of say a company
with two branches in different locations with each branch
have its own sales and accounts department. I would subnet my IP such:
Office A 192.168.0.x
Office B 192.168.1.x
The departments of each office would have IP's from their
respective subnet.
Sales A 192.168.0.1
Sales B 192.168.1.1
Accounts A 192.168.0.2
Accounts B 192.168.1.2

Make sense?
tnx for the help

  Different locations?  Then you want two physical LANs, each with
their own address block, and you might use a third (tiny) block
to manage the WAN link between locations.

  Where you would use VLANs is to separate different departments
(or organizational units or security contexts) *in the same
physical vicinity*.  Instead of mounting two adjacent devices
(physical), you install a single device and ("logically") partition
it (virtual).

David Gillett