Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98/SE/ME registry

From: jason.gerfen () gmail com
Date: 25 Aug 2006 18:21:42 -0000

Yep, it is stored in the c:\windows\system32\user.dat & c:\windows\system32\system.dat and everytime the machine would
startup it would those files.

If you would like to restore from backup windows would automatically create a backup during shutdown and store the
backup in the following locations:
c:\windows\system32\user.da(0-5) & c:\windows\system32\system.da(0-5)

Or you could use the built in functionality using the scanreg /restore function when booting from a command line. I
know this because I found binary & hex registry keys loading some kind of remote irc clients on my windows box in 98 or
99.