Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "Isaac Van Name" <ivanname () southerlandsleep com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:56:09 -0500

Okay, you caught me... got my early morning rant of useless information out
of the way.  :-)  Can't really dispute much of what was said, but I'll try
anyways.  B-)

I guess I meant a subnet created with a VLAN - an attempt to go along
with the word choices of the original poster.

Of course.  For the sake of clarity, I took it upon myself to nitpick.  :-)

VLANs seperate broadcast domains only. A broadcast does not traverse a
router - unless its told to pass them (DHCP over WAN links for
instance). On a switch, each port is its own collision domain, unlike
a hub.

You're right; a broadcast does not traverse a router unless explicitly told
to do so.  However, this statement alone does not necessarily mean that it
is more accurate to say a VLAN separates broadcast domains.  True, this is
what you will find on any site defining a VLAN... and it is the literal
definition.  For the sake of understanding how a VLAN fits into the whole
picture, though, I have to say it seems more accurate to say a VLAN
"creates" a broadcast domain, which inherently separates itself from the
broadcast domain that the switch lies on (just like a physical broadcast
domain would).  It's like saying that opening a new browser window separates
your browser into two windows... true, but not quite how we'd think of it
using generic human nature.  But, of course... this is not saying anyone is
wrong; this is simply arguing for the sake of an almost-inconsequential
increase in accuracy.  ...Nitpicking again.

Oh, and you're right about the switch... I generalize an individual switch
environment as a collision domain because I don't know a better way to refer
to them.  I'm sure someone will assist me with that dilemma.

 It separates IP addresses like a subnet,

No, your subnetting (IP Addressing) scheme does that.

My turn to cater to the original poster.  True, a VLAN does not subnet IP
addresses because a broadcast domain doesn't, either.  However, in most
cases where a VLAN was used, I've seen it used just this way... to create
separate "subnets" on a switch.  To steal your phrase, "vlaned subnets".
Not truly a subnet, but rather a broadcast domain containing a single
subnet, in those cases.

Collision domains are a physical layer issue, I *believe* and has
nothing to do with upper layer protocols (like VLANs).

Probably so, but I wouldn't know.  This falls back on my tendency to term a
switch as a single collision domain.  The point I was trying to raise is
that a VLAN doesn't function as a switch would, but rather as a router
would.  Of course, there is always a counterargument for this as a router
functions on a different layer than a VLAN, right?

Trunk lines allow the switch to pass multiple VLANs across the same
port. If you define a VLAN to a switch you almost always have to have
a trunk line connecting that switch to a router (unless you're in a
chassis with an MSFC) since, in the Cisco world anyway, you always
have vlan1 and you don't want to use it for your normal traffic.

Right.  No argument here.  :-)

Well, I'm sure there will be a rebuttal on some of this; this, however, is
what makes mailing lists interesting.  Just to keep on the track of reaching
a conclusion for the original poster, though, I'm obligated to ask:  Hylton,
what else is not clear?

Isaac Van Name