Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 98/SE/ME registry

From: Chris Largret <largret () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:31:22 -0700

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 17:52 +0200, Luca Losio wrote:
Hi all,
do you know where I can find some info about the registry under
Win98/SE/ME? There are plenty of information and pdf and docs on
2000/XP/2003 but nothing about 98.

I don't need a tool to analyze the registry, I need some guide, some
tricks to find where the information are stored and how...

The registry is used to store a lot of different information. One of the
requirements for a program to display the "Designed for Microsoft
Windows XYZ" logo is for it to store settings in the registry. Here is
some of the more commonly requested registry information:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- system-wide settings
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- settings only this user has

Most of the common Windows settings (programs to run on start-up,
tweaks, Product Key for 9x/ME, etc.) will be found under Software ->
Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion.

All-in-all, the Windows registry in 2k/XP/2k3 is very similar to the
registry from 9x/ME. Most of the changes that you'll notice (apart from
the speed!) are caused by the way Windows stores information. One
instance is that you will no longer find the Product Key in plain text
anywhere in new versions of Windows.

The Find command is very useful if you don't know/remember where a piece
of information is stored. Also, if you really want to learn about
tweaking the registry, download a copy of X-Setup and read through some
of the scripts bundled with it. Lots of great registry locations
there :)

--
Chris Largret <http://www.largret.com>