Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Family protection - proxy?

From: Adi Kriegisch <adi () cg tuwien ac at>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:05:57 +0200

Hi!

If I may - by what some of these solutions are stating, then, we should
allow the kids to drink and do drugs at home "in a safe environment"?
No, I'm pretty sure most parents wouldn't want that.  But, just as with
the Internet, they could else where if we have not raised them right in
the first place.  Parents should discuss with them, however, what is out
there as it is definitely difficult to block everything.  But, if it's a
known porn/bad site, filter it so they cannot get to it.
Allowing them to do it is a completely different thing. So what you did here
was basically seeing the world black and white -- either deny or allow. But
there is alot more:
The central question to me is _how_ you deny or allow and how you deal with
the fact that there is "evil stuff" in the internet.
To me simply blocking the stuff with a technical solution has two effects:
Blocking stuff -- taking the decision out of the childrens hands -- makes
these things even more interesting for them and they will never ever get a
chance to learn how to handle this stuff -- so they won't have a chance to
get 'media skills' on their own... Besides the stale feeling of being
incompetent which could lead to behaving irresponsible because they know
noone expects them to be able to deal with the stuff.
Most of us here on this list got in touch with the internet when we were
adults. So "evil stuff" was not an issue. But trying to simulate this
situation for our kids by futile efforts to block any access to the
internet -- or at least the "evil" parts of it -- until they are adult cannot
work because they will get in touch with the internet elsewhere and because
the internet evolved ever since we are using it -- so they will never ever
have to chance to start the way we did years ago.

best regards,
        Adi Kriegisch

=====