Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: Billy Dalud <billydalud () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:04:47 +0800

>By the way was there ever a mention in the original post about child
>pornography? Maybe he was just referring to utilizing the computer for
>surfing porn sites.
>

>Just a thought.
>
>Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, the original poster, Mr. Edmond Chow, said he was indeed involved in such a case.
His post is reprinted below.

I think that the right thing to do is to lock down the machine and leave it untouched until the law enforcers arrive. And to not make assumptions as to the character of people involved both in Edmond's case and on this list.
Innocent until proven guilty.

-Billy

Good morning Jason,

Thank-you to you and all who responded to me with their ideas.  I am
wondering if there are any reference books available that would guide me
through an investigation of this sort?  I am dealing with a case involving
the viewing of child pornographic websites so I want to be careful to follow
reference guidelines of some sort so that I don't end up in jail myself!

Any help that you can provide in the form of links to articles and/or books
on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Edmond