Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anonymize internet access

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:10:51 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Jonathan Pauli wrote:

Someone I know in graduate school did a project for Dr. George Davida
(Steven Levy mentions the guy in his book Crypto..he is kinda cool) and
modified a TOR node to dump all the traffic for which it was the last
node and collected stats on its usage.  Apparently there was lots of
kiddie porn. So yeah, run TOR if you want to risk trafficking that.
Onion routing is a cool concept, but maybe in practice its dangerous.
Quantitative thoughts on this risk anyone?

Stop spreading FUD, please, and advise you friend that he can have
legal troubles with his work (http://tor.eff.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html):

* Has anyone ever been sued for running Tor?

No. Further, we believe that running a Tor node, including a Tor exit
node that allows people to anonymously send and receive traffic, is
lawful under U.S. law.

* Should I snoop on the plaintext that exits through my Tor server?

No. You are technically capable of monitoring or logging plaintext
that exits your node if you modify the Tor source code or install
additional software to enable such snooping. However, Tor server
operators in the U.S. can create legal and possibly even criminal
liability for themselves under state or federal wiretap laws if they
affirmatively monitor, log, or disclose Tor users' communications,
while non-U.S. operators may be subject to similar laws. Do not
examine the contents of anyone's communications without first talking
to a lawyer.

 --
Regards,
ASK