Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anonymize internet access

From: Jonathan Pauli <jpauli () istreamimaging com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:13:10 -0500

Someone I know in graduate school did a project for Dr. George Davida (Steven Levy mentions the guy in his book Crypto..he is kinda cool) and modified a TOR node to dump all the traffic for which it was the last node and collected stats on its usage. Apparently there was lots of kiddie porn. So yeah, run TOR if you want to risk trafficking that. Onion routing is a cool concept, but maybe in practice its dangerous. Quantitative thoughts on this risk anyone?

Cesc Santasusana wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for options to anonymize and secure all the internet access and as there are a whole bunch of options i thought some here may have experience and would like to share. First that comes to mind is some kind of secure VPN provider to which all traffic is securely (IPSec?) forwarded from my computer. This provider would anonymize all my traffic and ideally keep no log of it. What about open tools, like TOR? any comments?

Sorry for the open and maybe vague questions, but i am in the definition process of my needs :)

Regards,

Cesc

Unclassified