Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internet printing

From: Kilaru Sambaiah <sambaiah () antaares com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:35:35 +0530

John Lightfoot wrote:

I have a home network which I believe is reasonably
secure.  I connect my work laptop to it when I'm home.
My employer requires a VPN to connect to our email
server or other resources on the network, and the VPN
software disables the feature to bridge to my local
network.

I would like to be able to print to one of my
networked home printers while connected to work via
the VPN.  The only way I can think to do this is to
make my printer available over the Internet, but I'm
concerned about the security implications of doing so.
Is this a major risk?  Are there best practice guides
for securing IP printing to which someone could direct
me?  I'd be willing to put up with the chance of a
little printer spam in exchange for the convenience of
being able to print whenever I want, but not if I'm
opening a big security hole in my network.

Hi,
 You didn't mention any OS. You can control your printer
if you know from which IP you wanted to print.

Cups seems to be best bet on nix systems.

sam