Security Basics mailing list archives

Internet printing

From: John Lightfoot <jdltx () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:42:19 -0700 (PDT)

I have a home network which I believe is reasonably
secure.  I connect my work laptop to it when I'm home.
 My employer requires a VPN to connect to our email
server or other resources on the network, and the VPN
software disables the feature to bridge to my local
network.

I would like to be able to print to one of my
networked home printers while connected to work via
the VPN.  The only way I can think to do this is to
make my printer available over the Internet, but I'm
concerned about the security implications of doing so.
 Is this a major risk?  Are there best practice guides
for securing IP printing to which someone could direct
me?  I'd be willing to put up with the chance of a
little printer spam in exchange for the convenience of
being able to print whenever I want, but not if I'm
opening a big security hole in my network.

Thanks for any insight.

http://farechase.yahoo.com