Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: OS to know.

From: Jonathan Pauli <jpauli () istreamimaging com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:11:42 -0500

This is some serious Troll Bait put out by curtis I think.
I'm hoping most of the infrastructure Curtis mentioned isn't on the public Internet. I know a grad student who trained at a Navy base in Florida for a summer in info security. She says they use custom hacked Unix variants- never a stock kernel. They use windows boxes for desktop apps a lot- but what did you expect? In this day I suspect we are terrorists automagically for merely being on a mailing list in which someone thinks about mentioning enumerating and focusing on operating systems .mil uses- so who wants to think about trying to verify this?

Raoul Armfield wrote:

Steven Kalcevich wrote:

I can see Cyberguard Firewall Appliance an issue for telling anyone the rest is standard, i mean they arent running windows 3.11 for workgroups :) or custom OS Marine XP for workstations for general work. be glad he didnt say DOS :)

but then again, now a hacker knows that they can focus on RH Ent, Solaris or BSD, They can also concentrate vulnerabilities in the routers because they have the specific IOS release they are running so they. remember the first step is enumeration and Curtis made that all the easier. Also this post is not only in the mailboxes of the subscribers but freely available on the net in the archives.

Raoul

Regards

Steve Kalcevich

xyberpix wrote:

Curtis,

You're joking right?????
Are you allowed to give all that info out?

xyberpix