Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security

From: "Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr." <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:17:19 -0400

Jeff,

        Your scenario, reminds me of what happened with a friend of mine when he was
working at either an apartment
complex/building.  It seems that the owner had gotten a "wild hair" and wanted
to go into ALL of the units and made the
statement "this is my property and I want to go in and check on them."  Well he
went into one where the renter worked
nights and who obviously was NOT expecting any "company" during the day.  Well
hearing someone in his apartment he
grabs his gun, and when confronted by the "intruder" shoots him.  Now here's
where it gets "fun."  As the EMTs are
wheeling the landlord out on a gurney, and the cops are talking to him, he
demands that they arrest the shooter.  And
(no pun intended) to literally add insult to injury the cops tell him, that they
can't.  Cause the tenant was within
HIS rights to shoot the man/landlord. . .

        As for my questions I would say that IF person a is on person b's WLAN they are
a criminal and have NO expectation to
privacy, IF they get a virus it's their fault for NOT having a good anti-virus
PRG in place.  And IF there is more then
one person leaching Wi-Fi access and IF person c "invades" person a's computer
and reads/deletes files/MSGs oh well.

Herman