Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security

From: pand0ra.usa () gmail com
Date: 13 Oct 2005 19:04:31 -0000

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, just a security professional.

I've got a question (actually a few) along >>these lines. Let's say that a person has a Wi->>Fi network setup at
home. And they find out >>that some of their neighbors have accessed it.

A) What if any obligation to the neighbors does >>the person who initially setup the Wi-Fi >>network have?

None. If someone access your wireless network without your authorization (preferably written) then it is illegal.

B) What happens IF one neighbor goes in and >>reads/deletes msgs/files from
another neighbor's computer is the person who
initially setup the Wi-Fi network for their own >>use liable?

You are using a 3 person example here right? The way Wi-fi works is that if you are in the middle with the AP and
Neighbor 1 attacks Neighbor 2 would not affect you. Wireless 802.11x signals can be detected up to 2 miles away with a
$50 antenna. In any case the MAC address of the attacker would be broadcasted. The AP would only supply a IP address
for both neighbors and would not show the attack comming from your AP.

C) Can the person who initially setup the Wi-Fi >>network legally go in and look around his/her >>neighbors computers?

No. Not without authorization.

D) What if one the neighbors get a virus, is >>the person who initially setup the Wi-Fi >>network liable?

Doubtful. There would have to proof of intent to harm the other system.

E) What if any expectations to privacy do the >>unauthorized users have?

Tough question. Ideally, you should expect complete privacy. If you are not using encryption then anyone driving by can
access your network and see all of the traffic on it. Realistically, do not expect privacy on any wireless network,
ever.