Security Basics mailing list archives

Sender Spoofing via SMTP

From: brandon.steili () gmail com
Date: 3 Nov 2005 15:56:23 -0000

Hi List,

I know this is a common issue that does not seem to be well addressed, but I was hoping you folks could give some
suggestions. (preferably for Exchange 2003)

If I telnet to a system on the internet and perform the following:

telnet target 25
EHLO (assuming Exchange)
MAIL FROM: someone
RCPT TO: someone_else () TargetDomain com
DATA ....

The server will happily forward my mail to the internal mailbox without validating anything. I did not have to
authenticate, I did not even have to provide a real sender on the system, I could make one up. Again, I know this is a
common issue, the question is how can I prevent this from happening?

With the proliferation of social engineers / phishers, etc I would like to try and find a way to prevent this, not
because it is a big problem but because it might become a big problem.

Obviously user training can only go so far and our clients are not going to think twice if they recieve an email that
appears to be from a company exec...

Thanks!