Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sender Spoofing via SMTP

From: FocusHacks <focushacks () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:38:39 -0600

You can prevent it from happening by people using your own SMTP
servers as a relay by disallowing relays.

If you do not want incoming mail that has been relayed, the best bet
is to use one of the mail relay blackhole lists.  One such list is
http://www.mail-abuse.com/

What you get: A list of known IP Addresses that allow open relay (and
thus, proliferation of spam)

The Good: When you block these IP addresses, you no longer receive
mail via any known open relays.  Some spam squeaks past via open
relays that haven't been discovered but they do not last long.

The Bad: If someone that you want to be able to communicate with
happens to be using a black-holed provider,  you won't get the
communication.  Also, end users will typically have no idea that
they've been blackholed unless your filtering solution has an
auto-responder.

The Ugly: A temporary misconfiguration and/or fresh install of the
host OS can often lead to being blackholed.  I switched plans with a
dedicated hosting company,  and got upgraded hardware and a fresh
install of Linux with it.  Within an hour (before I could get around
to reconfiguring sendmail), I was blackholed and it took more than a
day to clear up the issue with all the blackhole lists.  There are a
LOT of different lists that one must clear themselves from.
Fortunately only 5 or 6 had flagged me.  See http://rbls.org/

On 3 Nov 2005 15:56:23 -0000, brandon.steili () gmail com