Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote desktop question

From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:31:41 -0600

Same rules apply. If you are giving them any kind of VPN access you're
hooking them into your network, for that reason you should make sure
they're running some kind of firewall - and I have much more faith in
an appliance based firewall than, for instance, Windows (host) based.
If you require them to get a router for their home network, odds are
good it has VPN functionality (I like linksys for the most part).

For traveling, and they're using laptops, you can use either Windows'
client or a client that comes with your endpoint. For your endpoint I
would again recommend a device as opposed to, for instance, RAS (which
would require you to either open ports in your firewall or place the
box directly on the Internet). If you use a cisco device (PIX or 3000
or other) they have a decent client for Mac and Windows, and one that
"works" for linux.