Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: user name from security logs

From: "Miguel Dilaj" <mdilaj () nccglobal com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:26:36 +0100

Hi Emmanuel,

All the suggestions provided so far are OK, but it must be much simpler just
to:

1) at the boot prompt, type 'linux single' or 'linux 1', how to pass the
parameter will depend on your boot loader (CLI or GUI LILO, GRUB, etc)
2) when at the bash prompt, type 'passwd' and change the root password to
whatever you want
3) 'init 3' (or 'init 5') to go to normal mode without rebooting, if unsure
'reboot'

Google will probably tell you 10000000 ways to achieve the same, next time
use it.
Cheers,

Miguel