Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: user name from security logs

From: Kevin <securityfocus () kevin 3drealms com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:33:39 -0500

Hello Peter,

Yes, through the use of a SYSLOG server and SNARE.

SNARE is a free open source utility that sends Windows Events to a
syslog server.  It is configurable so that it can send much greater
detail than what is usually reported in the Event Logs.  Not only can
it tell you who logs in, but it can also tell you what programs are run.

SNARE:
http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/Snare/

I also use Kiwi Syslog Daemon which is a freeware syslog server.
http://www.kiwisyslog.com/?source=overture