Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: magic_quotes

From: Christoph 'knurd' Jeschke <christoph.jeschke () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:46:25 +0200

maarten () webfauna com wrote:

I agree that magic quotes is not a very nice solution. Although
it makes it a little harder to manipulate queries, it will
make your code less clear. Some strings in you application are
escaped (from POST data) and some are not (e.g. from database.)
Sometimes it's not completly clear what the origin of a
variable (string) is.

FACK. Additional, magic_quotes are not reliable (some hosters deactivate
that) and it could be easily forget, that a application relies on
magic_quotes_*.

So let Applications not rely on things, which can be easily switched off
(e.g. safe_mode, open_basedir, automagic session_start, etc.) - not only
for security reasons.

I think it's easier and safer if you can concider all
strings to be unescaped and make sure you escape them in a query.

I think, it's most important to check every piece of data, which is not
defined in the skript itself (including includes). This leads to be
thrifty with data (KISS).

You need clear and easy to understand code to make your application secure.

FACK. KISS is very important in buildung secure applications.

In this case, I'd also use the intval() function. If you want an
integer value, this makes sure it is.

Another way ist looking if data is valid (e.g. with reg exp) and handle
violations as errors (and handle errors adequate, too). Sometimes, this
violations can be esteemed as threat. But it's a case-by-case decition
and no general advice.

Greetings,
Chris