Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: encryption algs

From: Kevin Conaway <kevin.conaway () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:06:52 -0500

If you look at the manpage for crypt():
http://www.rt.com/man/crypt.3.html

It shows that crypt() takes the lower 7 bits of the plaintext to
produce a 56bit key.  This produces the "13-letters state" as you put
it.  So as far as taking the output from a normal implementation of
DES and transforming it an output like that of crypt(), I'm not sure
its possible.  I think you would need to have the plaintext.

Is this what you were looking for?

Kevin