Security Basics mailing list archives

Re:encryption algs

From: "Ghaith Nasrawi" <libero () aucegypt edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:42:53 +0000

UNIX-MD5? I "think" the MD5 algorithm used in most current *nix
systems is a salted hash algorithm.

<snip from="http://www.aspheute.com/english/20040105.asp";>

A hash is a numerical value of fixed length which unequivocally
identifies files of arbitrary legth. An example of a hashing algorithm
is SHA1. The reader might now say that saving the password as a hash
would be sufficient, but why is this wrong?

The reason for this is that usually so called 'Dictionary Attacks' are
run against hashed passwords - a good example being the MD5 hashed
passwords of NT4. This is a Brute Force attack: all entries in a
dictionary were hashed using MD5 and those hash values then are
compared against the password database. Have a guess how quickly some
passwords are found this way.

The intention behind a Salted Hash is to have this type of attack fail
by attaching a random value - the so called salt - to each password
and only then compute the hash over password and salt. For comparison
of the password the salt has to be stored alongside the salted hash,
but the only vector of attack is to re-code the dictionary for each
individually stored password with the salt - and this takes quite a
long time.

</snip>

And NO, you can't transform one hash to another, unless you know the
original value. Hash functions are meant to be irreversible one-way
algorithm.

Sorry, I didn't get your second question.