Security Basics mailing list archives

Re:encryption algs

From: miguel.dilaj () pharma novartis com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:50:32 +0000

Hi all,

That's correct, the "MD5" implementation on most modern *NIXes (including
most Linux distros) is a salted hash, that incorporates the userID as part
of the salt, and then encodes the result as Base64.
A "pure" MD5 hash for a given plaintext is always the same, a salted hash
isn't.

I miss the point about "NT-MD5" someone mentioned. If you mean NTLM, it's
not MD5. It's an MD4 hash from the unicode representation of the password.

Feel free to experiment with Lepton's Crack (of which, incidentally, I'm
one of the authors ;-) available at http://freshmeat.net/lcrack/

I recommend also reading the 2 password sections of ISSAF
(http://www.oissg.org/issaf/).

Cheers,

Miguel Dilaj (Nekromancer)
Vice-President of IT Security Research, OISSG

"Ghaith Nasrawi" <libero () aucegypt edu>
28/01/2005 09:42