Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VMWare & WinXP

From: "enine" <enine () ninefamily com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:53:19 -0800

From: Chris Merkel <chrism () geo-synthetics com>
Date:  Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:15:50 -0600

I tried
calling Microsoft and going through the automated process on
the phone, but it says my installation is invalid. Is there
any way around this (I am not trying to cheat Microsoft here)
or any way to speak to a Microsoft representation to explain
my situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is that it won't activate because the hardware hash generated from
one VMWare machine to another will be nearly identical. Take a look at the
table here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xpactiv.mspx

On a VMWare machine, the only things that would need to be different would
be MAC Address and HDD volume serial number. If the developers didn't design
the machines to be more unique, that may not be enough differentiation.

I've never tried activation - the VMWare machines I use XP Pro in come from
our volume license pool.

I wonder if this problem exists using Microsoft's Competing product: Virtual
PC. I bet not. (Paging Dr. DOS... ;-)

- Chris Merkel

It should activate just fine under vmware, I've done it a number of times myself.  After reading another reply I'm also
thinking the OP is trying to activate it as both the host and guest at the same time.  Download a distro of linux and
use that as the host and activate XP as the guest only, it will be much faster that way as well.

Sent via the WebMail system at ninefamily.com