Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VMWare & WinXP

From: "Mark Brunner" <kohi10 () rogers com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:15:43 -0500

Hmmm, I haven't tried this in a VM situation, however, I reformat my hard
drive every 30 - 90 days (very paranoid) and use a little trick to avoid
having to constantly re-register.  It might work for you.

Boot your system into Safe Mode.
Copy the C:\Windows\System32\wpa.dbl file to another directory.
Boot into Normal Mode.
Copy the wpa.dbl into the same directory in your Virtual system.

Should now be activated.  Let me know if that works for you.  I'm hoping to
setup VMWare on one of my XP systems shortly, so it would be nice to know if
that works beforehand.

Cheers!
Mark