Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: learning ethical hacking

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:54:08 +0100

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 09:13, linux user wrote:
Hi All,

Could you please let me know where should i start learning about
network, and web security, I   have been using linux mainly for
several years, windows for a couple of years, and solaris from time to
time, I would like to consolidate  my knoweldge regarding the above
operatings system through a deep exopsure to security. i am thinking
of books, mailing lists, and training courses, i also stumbled once on
a hacker group that would let you joing if you solve a puzzle, some
kind of message encryption, but i do not remmber the site any more,
the main objective is secure a career in network security.

Mailing lists:

Pen-Tests on security-focus
Full Disclosure

Sites:

http://www.bsrf.org.uk
http://www.arson-network.com
http://www.infosecwriters.com
http://neworder.box.sk

Books:
 (Need to be more specific to a topic)

These are a good place to start. These sites are pretty generic, if you
have a specific topic you'd like to work on books would be better, but
books that try to cover everything aren't generally that good, better to
choose books focused on one aspect of security such as firewalls, eploit
coding, IDS's etc.....

--
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

  http://www.bsrf.org.uk

[ gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x96025FD0 ]