Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking

From: Miles Stevenson <miles () mstevenson org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:09:23 -0400

<snip>
I am calling this vulnerability Strong Passwords but Weak Systems.
</snip>

A good variation on this kind of attack is the slew of recent phishing
attempts hitting your inbox on a regular basis. This and other forms of
social engineering make password complexity irrelevant.

This is another good example of why it is not a good idea to rely on passwords
for authentication. As a general practice, I try to keep password
authentication as a last resort solution. Asymmetric cryptography (pub/priv
keypairs) is my usual perferred solution, although skey, and other forms of
biometrics are other alternatives that can sometimes be more appriopriate
depending on your situation. My philosophy is that if it relies on passwords
for authentication, its getting wrapped inside a VPN tunnel with better
authentication mechanisms.

--
Miles Stevenson
miles () mstevenson org