Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking

From: Fabio Miranda Hamburger <fabmirha () ns isi ulatina ac cr>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:44:02 -0600 (CST)

To me I've always had great success with LC4 and John, it all depends
what platform I'm on at the time though, and what dictionary lists I
have loaded at the time as well, so far I haven't found a passwd that I
haven't been able to crack, yet!

You use easy to guess passwords based on letters and numbers. The
dicctionary and GECOS generated passwords are weak. If you can crack all
the passwords that host doesnt have a password policy.

Have you cracked passwords like:

k;!p-__f
"d%g..H#
^ f!)I..

You can make the passwords > 8 digits so you cant really crack all the
passwords.

fabio.

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html