Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MAC level authentication or filtering

From: "Jay Archibald" <jay.archibald () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:56:56 -0600

Mr. Nardoni

If you have managed switches in your network that can use dynamic VLANs you
have your answer.

I will use Cisco products for an example since that is what I use.  If you
have dynamic VLANs enabled, the switch will search a database (TACACS) of
mac-addresses to see what VLAN to assign to the port.  You then populate the
TACACs database with the "allowed mac-addresses" and their assigned VLAN
which has access to your servers.

When an unknown mac-address is connected to a switch, the switch will put it
into a default VLAN.  All you have to do is filter that VLAN.  You may want
to filter access for this VLAN to the Internet and nothing else.

Additionally you can turn logging on the switch and send the syslogs to a
syslog server.  This will record everything that is being connected to the
network and what VLAN is being assigned.

This is a little configuration work up front, but it allows you to control
the known, and protects you from the unknown.

Regards,

Jay Archibald

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.