Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MAC level authentication or filtering

From: Josh Mills <joshdmills () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:34:39 -0500

Cisco switches with port security enabled.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:53:58 -0700, David Nardoni
<dnardoni () firstresponseconsulting com> wrote:
I need a solution that will allow me to prevent a user from coming in to my
office and plugging in a laptop and gaining access to the network.

I have users that are currently using thin clients to connect to the main
server to do all their processing.  If a legitimate user turns bad and
decides to bring in a system (laptop) from home and connect it to the
network and proceed to use their proper username and password to gather
information from terminal services, I want to be able to recognize that they
have plugged in an unauthorized system and keep them from gaining access to
the network.

I welcome all ideas no matter what vendor solution or no matter how simple
or complex.  If you need more info on the situation let me know.

Dave Nardoni CISSP
First Response Consulting Services, Inc.
dnardoni () firstresponseconsulting com