Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Sniffing emails - how?

From: "Justin Acquaro" <JAcquaro () csmcorp com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:35:39 -0500

Just figured I would throw my 2 cents in;

        Someone whom has access to a remote router could setup a GRE
tunnel back to their systems and sniff data on the remote network. I
read in an article about cable modem uncapping using firmware that could
allow you to sniff data on the WAN side. There are still a few Providers
like Cablevision (Mine) that don't encrypt traffic on the WAN side to
the modem. This would allow anyone whom hacked up the already hacked up
surfboard firmware access to sniff on the WAN side.

-Uncapping article- http://www.securityfocus.com/news/394

        You should also be concerned with rogue employees (people that
may be planning to leave by haven't yet) and consultants (You know that
accounting guy that shows up once a month and wants net access)

Cheers

Justin Acquaro
IT/MIS
Creative Socio-Medics