Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Graphing Tool

From: Damien.Manuel () doi vic gov au
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:30:51 +1100

Greetings,

Netsaint is now called Nagios (www.nagios.org) if anyone is looking for it.

Regards,

Damien Manuel, CISSP

Department of Infrastructure
Level 12, 80 Collins Street,
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Phone: 03 9655 8590
Mobile: 0424070878
Email: damien.manuel () doi vic gov au

                      Francisco Rodrigo

                      Cortiñas                 To:       "'Tony Kava'" <securityfocus () pottcounty com>

                      <frcmsec () terra es        cc:       <security-basics () securityfocus com>

                      >                        Subject:  RE: Graphing Tool

                      06/03/04 02:20 AM

Francisco Rodrigo Cortiñas.
CCNP, MCSE, MCDBA.
When I worked for an ISP, I recommended them to use apps like, Big
Sister, Netsaint and similar, to make a web interface to monitor network
and server status. But If you have the ability to make the scripts on
your own and don’t want the interface, then I would use only RRD to make
the graphs; the only thing you need is: separate MRTG from RRD (or
download it), create your own customized databases, feed them with your
data and use them to feed the graphs. The input is customized by the
scripts you use to feed the databases and the config of the databases
(time intervals and others). You also could use the tools of RRD to
extract and manipulate the data. There are a lot of manuals of RRD on
Internet to explain how to do it.

If you only need a command line utility to only plot the data, gnuplot
and similar would be useful to you. Go and see sourceforge.net for more.

If you feel you need something more, and have time to learn, I recommend
you to use a language named TCL to make a graphic app to show the graphs
(it isn’t too difficult, the language is very friendly, and has modules
to make the graphs and other stuff for you). The results could be, with
some practice, very impressive (also recommend you to search
sourceforge.net for some examples).