Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: security advice

From: "Mike" <mike () superiorholidayadventures ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:27:19 -0500

Even a cheap Linksys "router" would be a better choice than having
a Windows fileserver doing Internet sharing as well.

I believe the linksys routers are linux kernel based (not sure to what

Yes, some are.  I know for a fact that the Wireless AP's are Linux
based:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3580

degree) or at least later ones are. Anything misconfigured can be
insecure, but that does go some length to explain why it is a better
solution than a naked windows box on the net.

I agree too, but a badly configured Linksys "router" is still much
better than an even somewhat competently configured (possible) file
sharing DC server directly connected to the net.  What happens if the
software he's using to do NAT and/or firewalling breaks.  Does it break
allowing all access, or does it break shutting all networking down?
That's only one scenario that could cause coder
[elite.coder () ntlworld com] some major headaches.

Mike Fetherston

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!