Security Basics mailing list archives

security advice

From: "coder" <elite.coder () ntlworld com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:40:22 -0000

Hi I just need a bit of advice,

I have recently been appointed network administrator at a charity.
The network consists of a windows server 2003 central server
and about 10 windows XP clients.

can anyone give me some tips to secure the network?

so far I have:

installed patches and updates
changed passwords to "strong passwords"
installed AV software on all clients & server

I am also planning on setting up the NAT thing in the server and installing
a proxy then disabling all
ports except the proxys (is this a good idea?)

I appricate any help
thanks

~Davie

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!