Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure FTP server for Windows

From: "J. Ottosson" <j-001 () ottosson nu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:57:50 +0100

On 3 Dec 2004 at 9:31, Derek Fountain wrote:

Can anyone recommend an FTP server for Windows which has been written with

security in mind? I only really know such things about Linux (where vsftpd
is the obvious choice)

Really? I'd say "pure ftpd" is a pretty obvious choice too, not to say
vsftpd is not good though ;)

  "Pure-FTPd is actively supported, and it was always designed with
   security in mind, and the code is always re-audited as new kind of
   vulnerabilities are discussed."

  "Unlike other popular FTP servers, the number of root exploits found
   since the very first released version is zero."

 http://www.pureftpd.org/

Good features for both personal as well as demanding professional use, nice
dev attitude and approach and so on.

but I've been asked to recommend a Windows2000 or
WindowsXP product.

Someone told me Cerberus was pretty desent (for Win32)
 http://cerberusftp.com/

I really cannot say for sure one way or the other, you may wanna have a look
at it though. (It all depends on how many 'enterprise-style' bells-and-
whistles-features you need too.)

 Jörgen Ottosson
 Web: http://jo.privasec.net   Cell: +46.70.490.0742
 PGP keys: http://www.mit.edu/finger?jo%40pgpkeys.org