Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security issues in publishing content of /etc ?

From: lemieuxs () ca inter net
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:14:10 US/Eastern

You could use a brute force attack to get weak passwords. You may find
software installed in the machine or other hosts information.

Brute force means trying every possibilities?  Using a dictionnary most possibly, what if
the password
have a scrict policy, like no more than 3 same kind of characters in a suite and must
contain lower-
case, upper-case, numbers and punctuation.  This would definately slow down the brute
force I guess.

Too few changes you get a readable shadow password file nowadays. You cant
do password cracking with /etc/passwd. The host IP or 'dns ip' is public
avalible and It is not a risk by itself.

There was a program called `crack` which I think would just encrypt words in a dictionnary
using the
same hashing algorythm as the one seen in /etc/passwd and compare its results with the
ones in that
file.  Isn't how it works?

You can chroot a filesystem to prevent users to view systems files. A
server can do the sharing and other just authenticate users.

For a linux system, but here I'm thinking on devellopping a software that will mimic the
inner working
of linux (in a very light way), and all files will be stored on every computer who uses
the software
(containing the big /etc/passwd of all users).  Therefore, all files are on the system,
with the user's
privilieges when he installed it.  A malicious user will be able to read that sort of
/etc/passwd.

Thanks,

Simon

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html