Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security issues in publishing content of /etc ?

From: Fabio Miranda Hamburger <fabmirha () ns isi ulatina ac cr>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:12:55 -0600 (CST)

Hi.

  What if the content of the /etc/ directory of a linux server was public to anyone logged
in. And what if
anyone could log in, with read-only access.

You could use a brute force attack to get weak passwords. You may find
software installed in the machine or other hosts information.

  I believe the security issue here is that there will be no secrets for anyone who wants
to hack, they'll
know the DNS IP, running services, their options, they will be able to copy /etc/passwd
and crack the
passwords with time.

Too few changes you get a readable shadow password file nowadays. You cant
do password cracking with /etc/passwd. The host IP or 'dns ip' is public
avalible and It is not a risk by itself.

  I'm asking this because I'm soon going to develop a file sharing program which the whole
network will
mimic a single virtual host, but with no central nodes, the write permissions will be
stored publicly,etc.

You can chroot a filesystem to prevent users to view systems files. A
server can do the sharing and other just authenticate users.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html