Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure host newbie

From: Xilo Musimene <xilopublic1 () ca inter net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:20:05 -0500

Firewalling (even packet filtering) is a very complex topic and I
seriously doubt you will be able to cover it in just a few days. A few
months at least is much more likely.

I guess you are going to use iptables, so I would recommend [1] as an
introduction into how iptables works. But you will also need thorough
knowledge of how networking (i.e. TCP/IP) works to fully understand what
you are doing (which I would strongly recommend since there are already
enough rooted boxes out there).

[1] http://www.netfilter.org/

I've already used iptables for a long time when my computer was used as a host. I learned a great deal and now I know even much more about TCP/IP and I understand what I would like to do with iptables. Considering a hacker can use flags to desynchronize any kind of monitor, to overlap fragments to confuse monitors, etc... I'll take all I read into consideration before trying to gain any kind of experience.

Thanks a lot for the reference, I've been looking for the official documentation!

Thanks,
  Simon

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html